A year of travel from Morocco to France

Starting with a semester in Morocco, a short trip home then the following semester in France, it looks like I'll be out of the country more than in this year!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Paris, Je t'aime

Soo this past weekend I made my way to Paris to meet with my friend Lisa, who is studying in Madrid, and see my friend Mollie who is studying in Paris. I took the train just a couple hours after my last class on Friday and I was on my way! I found my friend Mollie, saw where she's living and met Lisa at Port Maillot. We walked around Sacre Coeur for a while, then called it a night. Mollie had to leave for a trip to the Loire Valley at 7:15 so I was up bright and early with about 2 hours to kill before Lisa was gtting up. So naturally I started walking.. It was the logical thing to do... So I walked from the most southern point in Paris up to Sacre Coeur... It took me about 2 hours partly because I gave my map to some guy who was really lost along the way... so i took a few detours. If I hadn't taken detours, it still should have taken me about an hour and 40 minutes according to Google maps. At any rate, by the time I was sitting at Sacre Coeur with a pastry and baguette, it was only 9:30... So I met Lisa and we walked down to Centre Pompidou and Notre Dame. I think that I am actually in love with the Shakespeare bookstore because we went and just sat and read for a while. That was the first time I actually seriously thought about someday living in Paris for a little bit simply to have access to this little store across from Notre Dame. After a little reading, we went to a cafe, then to the Louvre. We sat by les Jardins Tuileries until I decided to call my hostel to find out when i was supposed to check in. Good thing I did because I was supposed to be there at noon and it was now around 5... oops! Luckily we got up there and no harm done... I checked in and then we made dinner (I made galettes! which are like wheat crepes with ham and cheese and a TON of butter). Then we headed to the Eiffel Tower. By this time it was pretty late so I wasn't sure if we'd be able to get up, but we took the elevator and went up to the 2nd platform just in time to see it light up at 11pm. It was magical. After almost an hour we took the last elevator down and walked to place de la concord so that Lisa could see the bridge that's in the movie Anastasia. We crashed at about 1:30/2am... Then I was up at 8:45 so I could check out by 9, and hung out at Sacre Coeur. Lisa met me there and we went to mass which was so nice! We ended the trip with lunch at a kebab place, a trip to Moulin Rouge and a quick cafe before Lisa got on the bus to catch her flight back to Madrid. I took the metro and changed my train ticket so that I could get back to Rennes by 7 because I was sooooo tired by then. My host mom picked me up from the train station and told me all about her weekend and asked me all about mine. While I like Paris a lot, I think I like Rennes better. Everything is SO expensive in Paris and I was always on the move. I feel like Rennes is just a little more laid back... and I missed my host family. and the dog =)

No comments:

Post a Comment